Skeffling’s June 2012 Online Earnings Report – Did she break $3000?

by Skeffling on July 2, 2012 · 44 comments

Post image for Skeffling’s June 2012 Online Earnings Report – Did she break $3000?

The more experienced internet marketers say the summer is not the best for online income.  Internet traffic slows as people head outside for the summer sunshine.  So I am thrilled with my June earnings.

June was much more productive than May as I got 37 new Squidoo lenses posted and one article on Seekyt, though I got 65 articles outsourced and completed (so am behind on posting), and got a bit of keyword research done too.

Even though I had 3 weeks messed up by my “proper” work as a locum, content creation kept going.  I am very happy with my new outsourcing avenue, and will be writing a post about it and things I have learned about using it and general outsourcing probably close to $2500 worth in the last 6 months.

Anyway I got a few more niche sites up, though I am still deciding what format will be best, and I am thrilled to report in June I made an Amazon affiliate sale on one (netting me $22) and got numerous Adsense clicks on another 3 of them.

Updated June 2012 Online Earnings

Adsense $70.94 (Yay, new record)

Chitika $1.80

Zazzle $21.46 (same lady came back and bought another 60 chicken postcards too)

Hubpages $17.72

My IB/Seekyt/Wizzley Amazon.com $234.62

Amazon.co.uk £47.66 or $71.49US

Clickbank $36.44 (chicken coop plans for my hobby farming niche)

Amasuite affiliate $87.72

Squidoo Amazon commissions original estimate $2002.88

Squidoo Conservative estimate for adshare  $480.19  I had 6 articles ranked in the top 1000 overall on Squidoo most of June and almost the same number still under the 2000-2500 rank cut off for tier one.  At that level, adshare is about $50 per article.

UPDATED Squidoo TOTAL from 9/8/12 Payday  $2770.45

Updated Total online earnings is $3312.64 US

Average earnings per article over all 460 articles is no $7.20 per article,  that is up from $5.20 per article last month.

Average earnings per Squidoo article (220 lenses) is $12.59

The top performing article earned $387.93 .  It is that one that took off , and now traffic looks like this.  It topped 323 views one day.  I wish I could replicate this as I can’t find any organic back links for it and I never did any linking!

So $325+ Amazon in a month from June’s traffic

I noticed a bit of a rough rule of thumb pattern too that seems to loosely apply from 1 to 300

“For decent quality Amazon product review type lens on Squidoo with the intent of selling and that uses Squidoo’s affiliate links, average # daily views over the month roughly equals or is a touch higher than the monthly dollar # Amazon earnings.  There are some exceptions, but I think if earnings are much lower than that, the product selection/niche/layout can be improved.”

I think you can get higher than that as well by putting the most desirable item you sell the most of in the top one of the 3 side widgets.  That’s what I did a week ago with this article and earned $142.00 from the 23rd to 29th of June as many items sold at the 8.5% commission instead of the 4.25% from the main body of the article.  I think that may be why the commissions were higher than in was expecting, as I roughly estimated sales as being lower than last month.

Buying Domains and Niche Websites

I just bought a handful in June, just if I saw a good one while doing my keyword research.  I figure I have enough work to get done with the others, though I have 7 websites up and done now out of about 60.  The content I ordered for another 15 sites evaporated, so I’ll be posting that again, but may change how I do it to give 5 or so article type pages, each one for a given type or category or main products.

Continuing Education

I finished Chris Guthrie’s “How to make money online” and Pat Flynn’s “Smart Passive Income” podcasts and the 3 ViperChill ones.  I started on the Internet Business Mastery and am thrilled to hear it is not just the mechanics of how to, but you are encouraged to figure out the why, the long term goals and what will fulfil you, there are so many episodes (over 160)I think I’ll start picking topics I’m interested rather than listen to all of them  back to back.

The insights and listening to the voices of experience are great with all of these.  It has been great to listen too while I have been driving with work, cutting the lawn and planting the vegetable garden.  I am looking forward to listening to Spencer Haws’ Niche Pursuits Podcast too this month as he has been a guest on a few podcasts I have heard already and know he has some great tips, content and experience.

More Stuff for July

My articles earn pretty well, so of course I want to post more.  I have most of my monthly online income invested back into the business this summer with more content creation.  If I can get monthly income up to $4000, I will likely hire a Virtual Assistant as I plan to quit work by Labor day and I will need to start taking income out then, but know I can do much more with some help!

There is an ebook in the works, working title “Make Money for Free with Amazon on Squidoo” being written using all my content and the poor dear writer is organizing it for me.  She is doing an awesome job and  I have 10,000+ words back so far, but I know I will want to tweak it and add more about outsourcing and other new things I have learned lately.

I have had some great suggestions from a couple of kind and helpful commenters offering some great business ideas for me and ways to share what I have learned about making money online on Squidoo.  Thanks guys.  I will be spending more time on the blog here in July, making it more appealing, easier to read, find things and receive updates when we have them.

I was flattered to be asked to answer some questions for a great interview and look forward to that being published at some point in the future too.  You know, I am finding what I am looking for daily now, more than the earnings, is connection with like minds and comments and emails from people who are doing what I am!  Just shows you it is not all about the money, it is something bigger.

I’d love for you to comment and ask any questions and I can answer or they maybe topics for other posts.

jjhansen July 2, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Amazingly inspirational. Well done. When did you start writing for Squidoo?

Skeffling July 2, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I think May 2011 was my first article and then did another 7 until August, then I joined IB and didn’t write anything else, I actually deleted a lens and rewrote it into my first 2 IB articles on shipping fertile chicken eggs! I went back in Nov/Dec as I had outsourced product reviews I didn’t know what to do with. The bulk of these earnings are from articles written after Feb this year when I really started writing more there and figured out the keyword stuff.

jjhansen July 2, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Wow – that’s quick work. I’m still struggling with the keyword stuff, but i’m going to follow your blog from now on for tips.

Skeffling July 2, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Thanks. I hope you figure it out! I honestly think the success is down to the keyword selection and trusting my gut. You do get a feel for it as you go.

ash July 2, 2012 at 1:13 pm

i would not expect anything less from you, time to quit your day job lol, i am in the proccess of writing up that lens it should be ready in a week or two while i polish it up, i like the new theme +skin it looks awesome

Skeffling July 2, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Thanks Ash. I honestly thought I’d be in the $1800 range this month, but this month seals it for me, not more job this winter!! I am not expecting a $1000 jump again, but I know I am still getting more efficient at what I am doing an that bodes well.

If you have any more questions or anything is too vague just ask! Thanks on the theme/skin, it may change a little yet, but I love it already.

ash July 2, 2012 at 6:02 pm

expect the unexpected what makes next month so different from this month

ash July 2, 2012 at 6:03 pm

you can reach 4000 next month, reinvesting is what i will be doing

Skeffling July 2, 2012 at 7:42 pm

It would be awesome, but I can’t count on it. I’ll be reinvesting as much as I can of it, I think I may have to outsource more than content creation soon ;-)

Appetizer July 2, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Awesome Skeffling
I will definitely be buying the book.
Congratulations

Skeffling July 2, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Hey welcome Appetizer and Thanks. I totally hope I can help people with it! If I thought it was chance before, I am sure I can replicate this stuff now!

Southerngirl09 July 2, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Congratulations! What an amazing earnings report! Your success is an inspiration to us all, and we are eagerly awaiting your book. Your determination and hard work to succeed at online writing has served you well. And thanks for sharing tips each time you post.

AHA, I just figured it out: You are holding the hen that laid the golden egg!
PS: Can you ship me one?

Skeffling July 2, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Thanks Southerngirl. Great to see you here! I am so happy to inspire, I hope the tips help.

This seems like a dream, I was so surprised when I added the lens earnings up this morning!

I can ship eggs, but you may just get an omelette, like we do here!

Andy July 2, 2012 at 6:40 pm

It’s so true that it’s about people first – it’s not about the net, the web or internet marketing – it really is about sharing with real people. And your “content” that sells it about sharing real information with REAL people who are searching for something online. Thanks for really helping me see this clearly. On the $$$, good for you! I’m inspired so much by your progress… I like the new theme here on the site, and your bio is funny — you don’t seem LAZY to me! (I bought another round of domain names too… more niche sites to build, more content to write — and more quality outsourcing to get.) Questions FOR YOUR site or your E-BOOK: How do you know if your content is evergreen? Will these lenses still earn in three years with a little updating, or will you have to create more content? Will Squidoo work as well even if they never raise their tiers? I’ve seen discussion there about the top 2000 articles VS. millions of pages of content — it’s great that you’re ranked high — but does that become harder with more and more SQUIDooers or doesn’t it matter because the real $$$ is in the sales? All best!

Skeffling July 2, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Thanks Andy! I think the human element is why I set the site up here.

And it’s organized laziness…it’s the easy route and straightest line between A and B!

Good questions. I honestly don’t know the answers, it’s best guess I suppose. I don’t consider primarily Amazon content evergreen, I think Adsense is more so, but it takes way longer to build up income I think, I am prepared to do the daily work for now in return for a faster increase in income. For Amazon, some product models turn over slower than others. Electronics really need checking every few months. I am hoping once a year for some of the others, I am trying to pick more mundane slower turning-over items. I try not to pick domains or urls with model names that can get outdated. If you pick a vaguer category like best blue widgets, then you can rotate them out over time as they go obselete. So you keep the same url, but evolve the content as needed over time.

I think as far as the tiers, the adsense type articles that have high traffic and lower sales may struggle more. As long as Squidoo has authority and the lenses rank well in the SERPs, I think the sales will come. The lenses I am sure are in the top tier earned these amounts. The low one has affiliate link of my own on it to the UK Amazon, so the ad share is really a bonus.
325.69,
133.31,
113.93,
109.90,
53.54,
34.09,
8.10
I had others that earned over $100 in Amazon, but were in the $7 adshare (tier 2).

That lens that discuses the tiers, if you check out the comments form last July/August, you’ll see mine in there when I only had 7 lenses and no earnings! After reading that I joined IB! Cheers for reading this. Claire

ZiggyD July 2, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Wow Skeffling! Seeing your growth is amazing. I am especially impressed by your growth in Amazon sales.

Skeffling July 2, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Thanks for commenting Ziggy! It’s insane, I really can’t account for all of it, though it is fun trying! Just like your Youtube success! It’s like some articles keep earning as new ones mature or take off right away and add to the sales.

Eleanor July 2, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Skeffling,

WOW, what an inspiring post. I have been concentrating on writing more amazon reviews at squidoo and seekyt. I did get a few more sales for June which is good to see. I also purchased the stealth keyword competition analyzer which I find is very fast at analyzing keywords.

Look forward to purchasing your ebook.

Thanks for all your tips.

Eleanor

Skeffling July 2, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Thanks Eleanor for stopping in and commenting. I am so glad you are starting to see results, especially in the summer, that is great! Don’t forget to do an allintitle search on the “amazings” and pick the lowest ones that are still good buyer words, that will increase your odds, but the SKCA does narrow it down for sure.

mommymommymommy July 2, 2012 at 9:48 pm

All I can say is WOW!

You are proof that study and hard work are the path to online income success! I look forward to this kids going to camp next week so I can sit with your information and start organizing my first Squidoo lens.

You deserve your success and I look forward to reading your reports and future ebook!

Skeffling July 2, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Thanks Triple Mommy! It is more work but worth trying to learn as you go is well worth the effort. That is great you are all set! I know you have been looking forward to it. It isn’t too bad once you get going on it. Let me know when you get some lenses up and I’ll stop by!

DaintheDude July 3, 2012 at 5:10 am

This is so Amazing!!! I’m going to start following your blog too. It is nice that you are sharing all your tips with us. I’ve been doing well with Adsense, but I really want to succeed with Amazon and Squidoo. I’ve written only one lens, but I seriously need to write more after seeing your results. Great job! You are pretty much making a full time income online. I’m just curious, how long have you been writing articles online?

Skeffling July 3, 2012 at 6:08 am

Hey Dainthedude, Thanks. It is pretty amazing to me too! Obviously what I am doing is working for now!

It hasn’t been that long really, signed up for the first site last May (2011). My first articles were on Hub pages last May to July, no products reviews, all gardening and chickens stuff. Then I did 7 farm articles on Squidoo from May to July too. I started on IB in August and learned on the forum about how you earned more with product reviews around Sept/Oct, so learned to use Zazzle, Stealth Competition Analyser and wrote a handful of reviews, then from Oct to Nov the earnings shot up. I took a month off in Dec/Jan to set up more Zazzle stores, then started the 500 article challenge in Feb. Most of the earners stem from February onwards this year when everything clicked and I had figured out what kw ratios worked.

I know you are on the right track DTD. I suspect we have similar kw selection criteria. I see you use kw I recognize from my scraping, ones I figured were more AdSense-y and ones that I don’t have as much expertise in. I think yours are higher search volume too!

I am happy to share what I have learned. There is plenty of internet to go around and though I have worked very hard and paid attention this past year, it still has come surprisingly easy in the end. I think most of the success is down to kw selection, looking for patterns and keeping the content flowing (with outsourcing once I got rolling). Thanks for stopping in.

Darren July 3, 2012 at 12:37 pm

You seem to be shockingly well across the top of the IB crop.

I don’t know how you do it (or rather I do, but I can’t emulate it); you are a beacon in the coop…..

Skeffling July 3, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Thanks for reading and commenting Darren. I find for IB and Seekyt, making the layout similar to my Squidoo articles that sell works the best. Linking the images or text links to Amazon works better than the IB Widget! I prefer Seekyt because you can half a dozen links to Amazon if you like. I often do 3 to 5 item reviews so it is frustrating for readers too I imagine to not have all the images go to Amazon with the 2 link limit on IB. I think IB is definitely better than Squidoo for AdSense.

With Squidoo, just keep at it, by the time you get to 20 lenses, you should start to get some sales (and they will keep building). Do a lens on that cheap tablet even, or pick and write about two others as well in the same article so you have the 3 on the short list. I’ll keep posting tips on here as well, so hopefully they will help you master Squidoo.

ash July 3, 2012 at 1:39 pm

zazzle earns me loads more than amazon

Skeffling July 3, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Good for you Ash. The commission is much higher than Amazon, and I totally recommend it for diversifying. I plan to post about it as well (already created the category) at some point as I am making money there every month too. It’s just so hard to find the time!

Ash July 3, 2012 at 9:18 pm

I have found quite a lot of Squidoo success stories but not any other person has exploded onto the scene quite like yourself most people take at least 4-5 years to reach the level you are at, at the moment. I have however found one other person whos success matches yours: http://fivegreenlizards.com/ check out her site, she documents her monthly earnings like you and is earning about 2500 dollars and it has been about a year on squidoo she should hit 3000 dollars next month like you, she is Klaird on squidoo

Skeffling July 4, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Hi Ash, That is great to see others doing well! I think part of my speed must be the outsourcing, but without the right keywords, I wouldn’t have as much!! Funny, I referenced klaird in the 10 Tips to Writing on Squidoo Artcicle on infobarrel written in November, so I know her name. I will check it out!

klaird December 30, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Hi Ash and Skeffling,
Thanks for the mention! I stumbled upon this from my traffic stats over at Five Green Lizards! I’m looking forward to diving in and reading all about your online success! Don’t you just love Squidoo? My total earnings for 2012 totaled more than $14,000 from Squidoo alone and with it driving another $4900 in commissions from Amazon Associates. And what’s great is that it’s all from a great ranking platform that is totally free for anyone to use. I love Squidoo. I’ll be posting 2012 earnings summary soon! Congrats to your Squidoo success too!

Skeffling January 7, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Hi here, glad you found us. That is great things are, Squidoo is certainly is a place to earn money. It seems that the principles that work there, often work on your own websites, or in different affiliate setups within squidoo as well. Once you are fluent in how things work, things that work for eBay, probably also work for Amazon and other affiliate programs like Zazzle like you said. I look forward to to the seeing the 2012 earnings summary. Thanks for stopping in.

Sheyi | Ivblogger.com July 6, 2012 at 7:53 am

Great result.

I’m always happy whenever I come across results like this online. It makes me happy and beleive that there is hope for anyone who does the smart work online.

Sheyi

Skeffling July 6, 2012 at 10:53 am

Thanks Sheyi for visiting and your encouraging comment. I am happy to have results like this too! I hope I can help it “click” for others too!

Ash Keogh July 7, 2012 at 10:46 am

Which site besides Squidoo do you think will be good for sales what is the next best and for adsense which is the next best

Skeffling July 7, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Good question, Seekyt for sure for Amazon. I set the sections out a lot like a Spotlight module and pick the 3 to 5 product reviews there. Being able to put ASIN into the Widget helps a lot, Infobarrel’s is a bit random, and links are limited and I think you need plenty. I do sell some Amazon on Wizzley (Similar layouts to Squidoo), but traffic has dropped right off lately. I suspect Hubpages conversions are OK, but have no evidence, I am not inclined to trust them. I think Infobarrel and Seekyt are the best for Adsense, maybe Infobarrel is better because of the media pages.

Did you ever read these I wrote, they may help. Because I need change, I wrote on 4 sites at the same time this Spring and learned a few things!
Write on Seekyt, Infobarrel, Squidoo, and Wizzley to Earn the Best Return – Why?

Most of the meat is in the second one
Write on Seekyt, Infobarrel, Squidoo, and Wizzley to Earn the Best Return – How and When Strategies

Ash Keogh July 9, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Here is the completed lens it has gotten a good reception and loads of comments so far I hope you can link to it in your next earning report: http://www.squidoo.com/can-you-really-make-money-online2

Skeffling July 9, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Thanks Ash, this is awesome. Good for Vallain too! I will link to it in the next earnings report! Though it should be linked now from the comments too! What a great idea for a lens, so inspiring for other writers.

asithi July 13, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Wow! I’m impressed with how far you’ve come in such a short amount of time. I find stories like yours inspiring. I know my problem is that I only spend 5 hours or less a month at this. I just don’t have the time.

Skeffling July 15, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Thanks for stopping by and your kind words. I do seem to have picked up some good momentum! I had to work hard for many months before seeing results and having things click. I think working intensely helps you see patterns as they appear, so then you can take advantage of them. Even being aware of all this passive income and doing a few hours a month is a start! Hope you start to see some results soon, that is the best motivator.

Eleanor August 9, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Hi Skeffling,

Just got my first squidoo payment for June today, about $13.00 paid to my paypal account. This has made me motivated to write more articles, thanks for all your tips about earning with squidoo.

Elle

Skeffling August 10, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Hey Elle, that is awesome. Paypal is so convenient to spend too! But it shows you all the stuff works just fine, you just need to do more of it! I am glad people are seeing these little boosts. I tell you, once I started to see a bit come in like that, it really kept me at it, as I realized it was just a matter of spending more time doing the same things! Hope next payday is even better for you! Claire

CashFlowsTo.com August 17, 2012 at 1:05 am

Great Information.

I just want to be clear on one thing. Squidoo Amazon is your personal affiliate link from Amazon. The other Squidoo Amazon is the profit share.

Skeffling August 17, 2012 at 9:37 am

The $2002.88 was my 50% share of Amazon sales commission on Squidoo, based on sales.
The $480.19 was an estimate of the adshare so for the “Adsense type” portion of the income, based on ranking. They do not add up to the $2700 which was all my pay shared from Squidoo and paid by Paypal, it was $200 more than I expected!

My own Amazon affiliate pay was in the $234.62 that included Amazon sales from Inforbarrel, Wizzley and Seekyt and was over half of that!

{ 1 trackback }