Skeffling’s July 2012 Online Earnings Report – Could she break $4000?

by Skeffling on August 3, 2012 · 57 comments

Post image for Skeffling’s July 2012 Online Earnings Report – Could she break $4000?

July flew by.  Early in the month my husband Nathan was told he may be laid off from his engineering job or we could be forced to move.

Then he was dismissed as of 31st Aug.   Now we are both FREE!  I am officially done doing dentistry as the last office I was booked for August messed me around for the last time and I am done with it, so they can find another locum.  That felt good!

So evenings and weekends he is learning and working online and I am helping him.  And we are getting our farm ready for sale while we sort out our financial affairs.  Not fun, but we are looking forward to the freedom.

So how did July go?  Pretty amazing really considering we are in the summer slump.  Traffic has dropped off the past few days so maybe August will be slower.  So did I break another consecutive thousand dollar barrier this month?  EDITED with actual payouts for Sept 7th.

July 2012 Online Earnings

Adsense $62.94

Chitika $0.69

Zazzle $3.14

Hubpages $28.61

My IB/Seekyt/Wizzley/Squidoo Amazon.com $1071.72 (up from approx $200 last month)

Amazon.co.uk £1.57 (say $2) down from about £50

Clickbank, Shareasale & Amasuite Affiliate $93.08

[Estimated Squidoo Amazon commissions $2345.11

Squidoo Conservative estimate for adshare  $547.40 (could be another $200 or so higher, once officially calculated by Squidoo)]

Actual Squidoo amount= $3237.52 and was 345.01 higher than I guessed

Grand Total is $4499.70

Average earnings per article is $8.77 over all my 513 articles

Average earnings per Squidoo article is $14.44 per article over 276 articles (over 50 of them brand new this month) I counted $750 in from Squidoo from my own affiliate results of $1071.72

Highest earning article was at $420 and the last 10 days of the month some of the traffic it was directed through my affilliate links and I can only track as far as Squidoo.  That had a record high of 500 visitors in a day, as my long-tail article got temporarily ranked #8 for a 12,000 search per month short tail search.

Some of the links below may be affiliate links.  Don’t worry, you don’t pay any more if you choose to go through them, and you can easily bypass if you need to.

Amazon earnings

So average dollar sales on Amazon per day were roughly $3000.  I tallied it up quickly each morning and we broke $4000 four times and $3000 about 10 times.  I only had a couple of days under $2000 in sales.  Estimated gross Amazon sales totalled $95,000 in July which is quite amazing really.

After reading a blog post interview of Erica Stone (another Amazon Affiliate who does well on Squidoo) she advised I put my own Amazon links in.  So late in the month, I switched some of my Amazon Spotlight Module links to text modules with affilate linked images and inserted my own text links too and as a result hit the 7% commission level.  Not bad considering I only changed 10 or 15 articles.  The links on Squidoo with my affiliate are still a tiny portion of what I have and I will be keeping most through the Squidoo program too, every article still has Squidoo links.

3 of my new Amazon niche websites sold items, earning a grant total of about $14 in that $1000 odd commission.  I have not done any back-linking (and hope to avoid it) and am still waiting to see how the keywords perform on their own.

Don’t be scared to hire help

Nathan posted about 10 Squidoo lenses for me and I had a VA on Elance post one batch of 20 and is working another group of about 30 so by July 31st I have 513 articles overall, and of those 276 are Squidoo lenses.

I realised when I got my Paypal and bonus Squidoo pay for May, I had no hope of spending it all if I didn’t get help.  With doing the kw research, outsourcing the articles and posting them all myself, there wasn’t enough hours in a day to re-invest all of it back in for maximum growth, so I took the plunge on a VA and although it is not perfect, it is saving me a lot of time and I can quickly edit as needed, and she is getting better.

I said when I hit $4000 a month, I could hire a full time VA, maybe I will, but after listening to Chris Guthrie’s Adsense Flippers interview yesterday, more piecework outsourcing may be the best to continue with to try out a few workers and evolve a procedure list one task at a time.

Kindle Publishing

I am very excited to be starting Kindle publishing shortly.  Thanks to this Blog post, and podcast from Chris Guthrie and the subsequent webinar, we are going for it!

I have 4 non fiction books being ghost-written at the moment by some talented authors on Zerys and have ideas for another 3 already.  I am thrilled to see the four are progressing well and I can’t wait to get the covers done and submit them.  One is just days away from being ready so I need to figure out the formatting and get the 2D book cover done.

Hopefully we will have some cool stuff to report next earnings report.  Nathan has some Science Fiction ideas he had about 6 or 7 years ago all written in a journal that we will be learning how to outsource fiction for too.

Make Money Online Book

My How to Make Money on Squidoo draft is back from being drafted and organized, and I have been dying to edit and add to it, but with getting things sold on the farm and getting it ready and putting it and the vehicles up for sale, I have barely had time to sit down and work on my book.  I guess we have proof now this crazy success is not a fluke, so that was worth the wait!

There is no easy formula or system, but I will share everything I do and I hope others can have it work for them.  I have been helping a couple of people who have been kind enough to help me and they are starting to see some results!  I am going to work on it this month, so I can get the info shared very soon.

To do in August

Creating, outsourcing and publishing more Kindle books for sure.  I guess if I set a goal of 10 more under way or finished by Sept that would be good.  I will write about the process here more once I actually have some earnings to show for it.  I think it may be a more stable income stream that is not dependant on Google searches, though I hope to take advantage of them and am picking my titles and keywords carefully.

I wasn’t going to push Squidoo as much, but with being the sole breadwinner now, I need to do more lenses and will shift niches a little as well for Christmas.  My VA can post more lenses as I will have about 30 finished articles ready to go after a final polish and Copyscape check.

Publish my Squidoo e-book, I may put it on Kindle too.  I am sure it won’t hurt sales and won’t take much time to do.  I am so excited to share everything in an “organized” manner.

I have an outsourcing post for Web 2.0 in draft here that I want to publish soon too.  I hope it helps those who are hesitant get started with that, as I think it has helped things grow here quickly and keeps the momentum going when I don’t feel like writing.  I will write another post on outsourcing Kindle books too when I have some completed, as I expect to learn a ton about that this coming month, and already learned some valuable lessons last month.

Maybe break I can break $5000 in August!  I really didn’t think $4000 was possible this month, I guess you never know ;-)

Thanks for reading and ask if you have any questions about any of this!

southerngirl09 August 3, 2012 at 10:23 am

Absolutely Amazing! Congratulations on many jobs well done – which is shown by your success. Sounds like you and Nathan are going to be the ‘Online Dynamic Duo’. Wishing you both much, much success, and keep posting!

Skeffling August 3, 2012 at 10:30 am

Thanks Southerngirl. It’s like a dream. A really, really cool one. I just hope this translates for others too. When I publish my ebook I’ll have a treat for you as you were the first to ask for it! ;-)

Southerngirl09 August 5, 2012 at 10:19 am

Skeffling, I’ve been eagerly awaiting the publication of your ebook – now I’m doubly excited!

While it isn’t necessary, I do thank you in advance for your “treat.” WOW! This reminds me of when I was a child, anticipating Christmas, and that special package under the tree.

Skeffling August 5, 2012 at 3:21 pm

No problem! It’ll be worth the wait I hope!

mommymommymommy August 3, 2012 at 10:24 am

All I can say is that this is totally amazing!!!!!!!!! Congratulations to you and the best of luck on your husband’s endeavors into the online world! I love reading about your success…it is so inspiring to me!

Skeffling August 3, 2012 at 10:40 am

Thanks Triple Mommy. You can do it too, you have already started on Squidoo, and have some great content up there. It’s just a matter of time. ;-)

SincerelyT August 3, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Another success! Like I said before, I’m looking forward to purchasing your book. Congrats Skeffling, I’m really happy for you and your husband.

Skeffling August 3, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Hey Sincerely T thanks so much. I can hardly believe it, but I’ll take it! I hope to have the book sorted soon. Hubby is going to proof read and try to understand it. If he can, then I know it’s OK! Kind of handy that!

Meggie August 3, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Wow! I love following your progress, your success with Amazon and Squidoo is what really kicked me in the butt to try it out some more. Looking forward to reading your outsourcing post, I have really wanted to get started with that, need to ramp up my content creation.

Skeffling August 3, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Hi Meggie, I hope you can do it too. I just couldn’t wait for that 50 cents an article from Adsense. I wanted to give up my day job ASAP. I know you will do just fine. You are starting to see great results with your niche sites and I honestly think Squidoo is easier once you get going. I don’t waste any time backlinking this way, all the content written is designed to earn right there and then. Check out the keyword post on here if you can make sense of it! If you can produce decent content, that kw help will really help you see good results on your new lenses.

I have the outsourcing post about half written. I have tried a few ways to outsource and there are probably others, but this one is certainly working for me know, and dealing with many writers at the same time, I get lots of great specialist content fast. That will be the next post, I figured I’d better get this one up first!

Miki Vicioso @ My Learning Process August 3, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Great Skeff! Keep it up! Love how you keep improving with time.

Skeffling August 3, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Thanks Miki for reading and commenting. The improvement over time is amazing me, I keep thinking it should slow down, but I guess I do work pretty hard too. It doesn’t feel like work when it is this much fun though!

Senterprises August 3, 2012 at 5:59 pm

You continue to impress, inspite and amaze with your progress.

One question: What is the difference between your Squidoo Amazon earnings here –
My IB/Seekyt/Wizzley/Squidoo Amazon.com $1071.72
and here
Squidoo Amazon commissions $2345.11

Is it that the first one “My IB/Seekyt/Wizzley/Squidoo Amazon.com” earnings are under YOUR amazon affiliate ID and the second one “Squidoo Amazon commissions” is under the SQUIDOO amazon affiliate ID that is split between you and Squidoo?

Keep up the oustanding work!

Skeffling August 3, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Cheers Senterprises. Thanks for the encouragement.

Yes the $1071.72 is my own ID for my old neglected blogger blogs, my 6 or 7 newer Amazon blogs, Seekyt, IB, Wizzley and my affiliate links in Squidoo (maybe 25 articles total out of the 276). I sold about 250 items and they were at 4-7% commission depending on the category (electronics is 4%). The $2345.11 was my half of the Amazon sales through Squidoo’s modules. Commission was 50% of 4%, so 2% on electronics and 4.25% (half of Squidoo’s rate of 8.5%) and the occasional 8.5% from non electronics sales from the side widget.

So even after that half share it’s a lot. I roughly figured the sales must have been about $95,000, assuming a 3% commission overall. It takes so much time to track exactly, matching up fluctuating product sales amounts and trying to figure the commission, I don’t think you could anyway. I don’t mind being under by $400 or 500 when payday rolls around.

Senterprises August 3, 2012 at 7:46 pm

You continue to impress, INSPIRE* and amaze with your progress.

Skeffling August 3, 2012 at 7:50 pm

That is so kind of you say so Senterprises. I think it is great I can help inspire. This is real. It is just under a year since I joined Infobarrel on Aug 13th. I just reread my first earnings report for Aug to Oct (earned about 20 bucks total for the 3 months!) and inspiring was one of my only goals, and to stop being a dentist ;-)

Appetizer August 3, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Congratulations again!!

Where will you go after you sell the farm?

Skeffling August 3, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Thanks Appetizer. Not too far for right now. We like the area, likely looking for a house on 2-10 acres, an hour or so higher up the Bruce Peninsula as it is rugged and beautiful (and we no longer need to be tied to civilization for a job) or grey highlands around Durham/Markdale/Flesherton. Eventually we’ll build, not sure where. I’d still like to be self sufficient and am not giving up my chickens for a while.

I’d love to live by the sea again, and I am sure I could live in Nova Scotia, though hubby is not keen on that much snow, though we are used to it here, and it’s no big deal if we don’t have to commute! Another option is to go back to the UK, but I would want the cash to buy property outright. Not sure he’d like the climate there either. We’ll see.

Kingpeng August 3, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Congratulations on your success, Skeffling.

It inspires me to post articles on Squidoo and get some earnings. How much is the book How to Make Money on Squidoo? I’m not a native English speaker and not good at writing, is it OK to totally rely on outsourcing?

Thanks

Skeffling August 4, 2012 at 6:46 am

Hi Kingpeng.
I am honestly not sure on book price yet. 95% of my articles have been outsourced since June, so it can be done for sure, though I edit most. I think you do need to be able to proof read and recognize if they are good or need some editing. I always pick products I know something about so if the articles are a bit plain and boring (just listing features etc) I can edit and add what I think that feature means to the buyer (like saved time, money or hassle).

What I would do if I were you, is have a friend who is a native speaker or good at English read any outsourced articles and approve them before you post them. I often go in, edit and add extra offhand slang phrases that I know are commonly found in longtail buyer keywords but are natural sounding and make sure they are in there for a H2 heading, like “best X to buy”. I don’t do it for every article but just if I know I can add it in easily without it sounding awkward. Or I substitute synonyms if it seems repetitive. I order 0.5% to 1.5% keyword density but it can still be a bit heavy looking, and I want them to be as natural as possible.

Squidoo likes first person experiential type product reviews on what has to be just one model, if the writer is being honest (When I bought the model X, I found that …) , but personally, I’d rather read a 2nd person shortlist that was not a biased version of just one model, like “if you are looking for a X, here is a selection of the top rated Xs and why they are they best” that is more like what I do and I bet has better clickthrough to Amazon.

Marcin August 4, 2012 at 3:52 am

Congratulations on the earnings, maybe next month you’ll surprise us by breaking $5500 instead of $5000! ;)

Skeffling August 4, 2012 at 6:30 am

Hi Marcin, thanks for reading and commenting. Yes you never know. I didn’t think $4000 was going to happen this month, so anything is possible. You ahve a pretty good idea of what I do, and if I can do it, anyone can! It’s just being ruthless with those keywords and only picking the very best!

Eleanor August 4, 2012 at 8:45 am

I always look forward to reading your monthly earning reports. Congratulations on making $4000 that is amazing. I have 38 lenses so far, not too many sales just yet but have noticed the sales I am getting are from 1 lens. Do you think I should write some more related lenses and link them together?

I have also been concentrating on writing some amazon reviews at seekyt and have got some good results there as well. Look forward to reading your book when it comes out.

Thanks.

Eleanor

Skeffling August 4, 2012 at 9:37 am

Thanks Eleanor. I am pleased to se you are building up the lenses and starting to sell.

Absoloutely do more related lenses! This is the key having a higher percentage of articles that are winners. Make sure your keywords are similar or even better ratios (monthly searches to allintitle: ) to your original article too. I think you can safely average at least quarter to half the sales for each new related lens that is simnilar quality and kw to the original. You may even blow the original away if you can improve on the kw with a lower competition. I’d make sure you have that original keyword once somewhere in the later articles too.

Also look at your analytics on your original lens and see what are your top incoming phrases that is not your main phrase. Do some with those if you can. For 2 reasons,
1) People who type in those phrases are buying
2) If you are ranking for them in some way without trying, they are easy to gte traffic from, so a whole article optimized for that should do even better!

Seekyt is great too. I think it is the next best Web 2.0 site for Amazon that I have tried. You get generous outbound links and can set up the page like a Squidoo lens. That’s what I do. Lay them out like a basic 3-5 article review with linked title, image and a teaser in text link somewhere in the 2 paragrpahs or so of content on each item. Like “see more features here…” or “see what reviewers say right here on Amazon”. A quick intro and summary with maybe one more in text link and you are good. Glad you are doing well with them!

Stefan - Scaevola August 5, 2012 at 2:16 am

Skeffling, that’s amazing! Way to go. I love how focused you can be, I mean, 50 more published lenses, wow.

Great to see the internet is treating you, very, well.

I’m working on some Dutch websites right now, made some great mistakes already. (Seriously, I made a website, appears there is no Dutch website which sells the product with an affiliate system). But I am learning every week. Slowly things start to work more and more :)

Skeffling August 5, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Hi Stefan, thanks for reading and posting! It is neat to see how we are all progressing and learning online after starting on Infobarrel. With all the disturbance here, I am so glad I took the plunge and got help posting the articles early on in July. I have been getting them outsourced and most need fixing to varying degrees and copyscaping, so it was still work, but it is nice to hv them up. About 15or 20 of them sold something already! I wasn’t going to do that much more Squidoo as I wnated to diversify more, but with Nathan’s layoff, it seems like a good way to get the income up fairlly reliably, buying us the free time from working a job to spend on IM.

Sound like you are learning a lot on the Dutch niche site. What a pain, no product. Can you link it to Ebay? I got my Ebay affiliate account fairly easily last month, they just ask you to paste some code into 5 of your websites and republish and they verify it. And they call you too. I hope it all works out for you! You’ll have to set up an IM blog with all you have learned!

Stefan - Scaevola August 5, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Yeah there are some other sellers. But for instance Amazon doesn’t accept PayPal. Creditcards are not widely accepted here in the Netherlands. Guess I’ll just have to set it up and see.

eBay rejected me once, so guess I have to look into that again!

Creating an IM blog is a smart idea, as I am working on a number of niche sites right now. I am in doubt between posting about it on my Dutch website (http://StefanKnapen.com), which is my personal website. Or maybe on my college site, SSF. As somewhat a case study on how to earn beer money ;)

Skeffling August 8, 2012 at 9:10 am

Right, I wish they took paypal too! Maybe Ebay will get an advantage in Europe that way over time with their new business developments. Asfar as an affiliate account with Ebay, maybe you have more content and websites now. I only used 5 of my tiny new Amazon product review sites and it worked first go. I think i told them I currently directed sales to them through Squidoo as well! Good luck with it.

Terri August 5, 2012 at 3:24 am

I feel as if I have learned so much just from reading this. What an amazing story you have! This is really inspiring me to go back to Squidoo and take a second look at it. I have some lens’ but never made anything from it. Thanks for the inspiration!

Skeffling August 5, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Hi Terri, Thanks. It is amazing how many of us have tried and left Squidoo! It is definitely worth going back to! Trust me on this! ;-) Make sure your keywords are good low competition, and you have the lenses set up on Squidoo with the tips I have in here,

Ashley August 5, 2012 at 11:06 am

Does your va just do content creation. I thought you got someone to create the lens for you, cant wait for the ebook and outsourcing post.

Skeffling August 5, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Hi Ash. I will get on that post! I have learned a lot on outsourcing this summer, and unfortunatly, it costs money to learn!! Even mistakes, you pay for! Just evolving a good outline list for your articles takes a few goes around to get what you want, then you may ahve to fix them to be happy with the which takes extra time. And you learn the writers to avoid too!

I outsource content creation to a bank of writers on Zerys (a content only site) though I have a few favourite writers on there that I have been assigning e-books to and some of the 500-1000w articles and web content after being happy with initial articles. I have outsourced about 140 500-1000w articles in the past 2 months, and 5 ebooks and about 40 niche website posts for niche sites.

My “VA” on Elance just posts lenses. Her English isn’t great so she doesn’t write content, but she does a pretty good job of posting the lenses. I’d love to find a VA that did both, write and post and would hire someone full time for that.

I don’t think I’d hire a VA right now full time that doesn’t have good enough English to write well. If I don’t have enough posting or keyword research work, then I could have them fill the rest of their hours with content creation. If I build up to enough posting work for a 40 hour week I would have the same one I have already work full time. It’s about 10 hours a week right now and she is getting much faster.

Nathan can do a lot of the VA stuff too, and is changing some of my Squidoo Spotlight links to my Text module and image links when he has spare time. He needs to get started with his own projects too. He is starting with writing his own Squidoo lenses and setting up some Amazon niche sites. It takes a bit of time to teach him too and we have so much organizing here for selling the house, it is slow going, but a little gets done online every day still.

Dainthedude August 8, 2012 at 5:54 am

Amazing. You never cease to inspire us all. You’re making enough to make a comfortable living online. Thanks for the report and I hope to see more in the future!

Skeffling August 8, 2012 at 9:05 am

Hey thanks DaintheDude! And thanks for reading. What a long way from my first earnings reports! I wonder about this and I bet all things being equal, people who write earnings reports from day one do better faster, than those who don’t!

With hubby’s layoff we are scrabbling to downsize and get out of a lot of our debt, but we plan to be living on this when that is done. Even now, he could be frantically looking for a job trying to get back to where we were, but it’d totally be a step backward. Better to move forward online with some real freedom coming our way. I really hope others get to feel this lift and freedom, becuase it feels even better than you imagine and dream when you first start trying to earn online! I am sure there’ll be more reports! ;-)

Quinton Hamp August 11, 2012 at 3:41 pm

SKeffling –

In this post-penguin chaos you’ve been a beacon of hope. Best luck on your new journey

I’ve been playing with your Keyword criteria and tool suggestions. Its crazy how many people say that allintitle doesn’t work as a good decider of kw’s. Heh, I say if it works for you, don’t knock it!

I was curious how long it normally takes for you to start seeing traffic? I think I am used to Wizzley where I normally start getting traffic the same day of my articles start getting traffic right away … at Squidoo I have 3 lenses and have only had 5 visitors…

Do you think that is a KW research issue? Or maybe they need more time? What is your experience?

Skeffling August 11, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Hey Quinton, thanks for reading and commenting. It is much appreciated. I am glad you are trying this and that is a good question. I find it varies. The squidoo can take 24+ hours to be indexed even with a Squid utils ping, pingomatic and Submitstart (which is all it get from me), though occasionally I’ll google search traffic same day, maybe 20% of the time. I have had them take as long as 48+ (maybe 10%) and I find Wizzley is much faster indexing too. Usually within hours, so no need to panic yet!

If you didn’t check the Squidoo site for duplicate title keywords, and it still doesn’t index within a few days, you may want to check there isn’t another really similar title. If you have Best Tennis Racquets 2012, and there is another already, change your title to What are the Best Tennis Racquets to Buy in 2012 or What are the best tennis racquets for serious players or Top Rated Best Tennis Raquets 2012 or something and that should will change it enough to get it indexed. You could backlink to it, I believe that will get them indexed too if they are similar, but I never bother, it’s kind of a waste of energy. Only links I do really are internal, the 40 tags (yes do them all-use squid utils to help) and if you articles are related, put them in as a related articles (in the intro module 3rds tab). If you are wanting more Squidoo traffic which helps with likes, rankings and on-site exposure, go on a liking spree. Check out a few lenses and like a few and you will get return traffic if you are a bit lonely. ;-)

Some of the low monthly search kw start off with lower daily traffic for a while, especially of the allintitle competion is in the hundreds. The ones that get a lot of google love early on often have signle digit allintitle and I definitely write for thsoe kw first if I see them and they are good buyer phrases, the ones that have

Allintitle: “x” # pages comp / Exact match monthly local US search ratios less than 0.2 sell the fastest and get traffic quickest.

I have really only had serious product articles for about 10 months with the bulk starting since Feb, and most non-seasonal articles show a steady growth so far (with bumps up with the google updates). Some take off from day 2 or 3 (very few), like the below 0.2 ratio, some get less than 5 or 10 visits a day for 3-4 months then seem to mature and get up to 50-100 a day. I have one now that is 8 months old that is surprising me! All things being equal though, the lower that allintitle competion the quicker you get traffic then sales which makes sense really as you get to front page maybe faster? I don’t really check my SERPs, just occasionally if something shoots up with traffic and I want to know what happened.

I am experimenting a little with higher competition (like 500 allintitle) with way higher search if the ratio is still OK. No great results yet, I bet they take 6+ months if it works at all, as they are on their own with no backlinks! I had one or two allintitle that are around 1500 that I did last Dec (when I didn’t really know what I was doing) and some have taken off after 6 months (#2 or 3 in the SERPS) for 1000-2000 monthly search kws, so I think there is a relationship. There were more dud articles from around Christmas when I wasn’t following the allintitle.

I think Squidoo’s authority helps this work, and I’d say most decently laid out set up lenses with good product choice and buyer keywords get enough traffic you know it’s not a dud by month 2 or 3. When I started hammering this in Feb, I was part of a write 500 articles challenge, so I didn’t wait to see if they worked, I just kept writing that style and kw ratios for 2 months and I think that helped my results a lot, then those kept me going.

I hope that gives you an idea of what to expect, give it time, and if you are within these buyer kw ratios, for buyer keywords for product reviews, best thing you can do is more! There are definite patterns you see with this many articles and I think now I can pick kw better now that actually makes sales. Now when I find what I am sure a good one, I get it to the freelancers ASAP so I can get it up and earning. Let me know how it goes, Claire

Quinton Hamp August 13, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Wow. Just wow. Thanks so much for this tome. I have read it no less than 8 times today.

40 tags???? That is serious. I’ve upped mine but there’s still a ways to go.

Thanks for the tips on the pinging and liking and sech. I shall worry less and work more. 6 months to maturity? Mine are babies. And maybe their niches aren’t that hot, either.

And, the whole guidance on the allintitle ratios really, really, really helped me. Found a few winners… some of them had already been claimed by Squids but I’ll either rework the angle or move on…. it’s a big sea. Bottom line, this method helped me uncover a ton of new niches.

Finally, when you get your e-book finished, feel free to add me to the email list. I want to be one of the first to buy it.

Skeffling August 13, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Hey Quinton, no problem. Sorry the ratio is upside down (should be allin comp/number searches-I will edit it too so it is correct) so if you can get more searches than all intitle pages that is best so it should be say 100 searches and 20 allintitle, that is sweet, or 1000 seraches and 200 all intitle is still do-able. Id do 100 searches/100 all intitle but not 1000 allin and 1000 searches, but I am a backlinking wimp, I want it easy! I saw few typos in the tome but think it is still intelligible! Some get traffic faster than others, so traffic will come with those ratios if you have buyer phrases and keywords. Think of those 40 tags as 40 internal links you get in as well as out. I think it may be how you get good Pageranks relatively fast.

That’s what I like about this, you can experiment with niches all you like! There isn’t that committment of setting up a whole website. Find some winners and do more of those lenses. Find some winners and base any websites on those too. I certainly will let you know when the book is done!

Quinton Hamp August 15, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Ok, cool. Thanks for correcting the allintitle ratio. It did still have me scratching my head a little, but I figured out that basically we wanted better than 1:1 where we could.

Just published my second one with the new guidelines 2 minutes ago. Have two more in the pipeline. ( I get a little scattered) Can’t wait to see how they do!

Skeffling September 1, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Sorry about that, it makes sense to have the best odds you can! I mean our time is limited and really kw phrases aren’t, so pick the most favourable ones to spend your time on. Hope the new ones do well, good luck. I am all over the place too, it amazes me I got this far!

Andy August 13, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Skeffling! This is really amazing — it’s awesome that you cracked $4K! I’m constantly re-inspired by your energy and results – and good to see your husband is on board – plus a VA! I got my Squidoo lens count up to 50 and have several more in the works, including the outsourcing. To date (in a few months), I’ve sold about 34 items through Squidoo (Amazon plus a single eBay item), and 5 more direct to Amazon through some links there. Out of the 50 lenses, all the sales have come through 10 lenses, so I will expand those KW areas with more related content (as you mentioned above). What I think is really cool is the RANDOM sales! Of the 39 sales, at least a dozen were from random Amazon products that shoppers bought once they got over there!! That’s the best…

Skeffling August 13, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Hey Thanks Andy, getting results gives you energy for sure! I didn’t think $4000 was possible, but the sales keep climbing! I think $5000 might be possible now, though. The random sales are cool and fascinating too. I sold a $3000 acoustic guitar through my own affilate link yesterday and believe me when I say, I don’t write about them! The more lenses and clickouts to Amazon you get, the crazier the random stuff gets. And people always buy fridge water filters and diapers!!

I am glad you are starting to get a good number of lenses and sales, they will keep growing as you keep adding lenses and the ones you have already done will mature as well so it snowballs. Definitely do more related lenses in those same selling topics. It is a numbers game, and it seems the results and speed of return improve as you do more and learn. The outsourcing definitely speeds things up once you get an idea of which keywords sell. So go for it.

One of Nathan’s strengths is project management so we have figured once he finishes work in a few weeks, he can manage the VA (s) and checking and editing the outsourcing as well as looking to do labor saving bits I don’t like as much, freeing me up to do the bits I am best at and enjoy the most, like being on here and doing keyword research! He is learning fast, we can’t wait til he is all done work. We are looking at properties tommorrow, and hope our place sells fast, so we can be settled before the snow flies here.

CashFlowsTo.com August 14, 2012 at 4:03 am

Your post is an inspiration. I’m new to your Blog so I’m not up to speed on your progress. But I do love the positive energy you put out.

I have a squido account and clearly I’m under utilizing it. I looked at it as a back linking only opportunity. Based upon your process it is so much more.

August is special to me. It’s my birth month. It’s also the month I started to take blogging seriously. I made a commitment to learn from others doing well.

You inspire me because of your first 25 cent. To say the first 3 months you made 20 dollars is also as message to me. For six years I’ve written. My income has been from 30 a month to 5 a month. But I never too writing seriously. Now I do.

What happened in that 4th month that changes things for you? It sounds to me like there was a huge transition from December to February. Did outsourcing make all the difference. Did you outsource strategically before it was profitable? Or did you make the blog work then outsourced tedious labor keeping it profitable.

I’m really debating on the outsourcing part. At this point it’s time to decided. I have a plan now just looking for guidance to implement it. Any and all help you can provide is humbly appreciated.

Skeffling August 14, 2012 at 6:04 am

Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to make such a kind comment! Happy birthday! It has been a crazy fun year and I have worked very hard to be able to give up my job as a dentist, which I was planning to do by Labor Day, but have already done! I can live on less to be happy and home working, but now the earnings are going up over what I needed as a minimum. This has bought us freedom from a lot of worry as my husband is being laid off and we know we can do even better at this as a team, and once we sell our farm, vehicles and live on less we will be very comfortable and FREE.

If you want to see the whole story from the start read my first earnings report on Infobarrel, here http://www.infobarrel.com/Skefflings_Passive_Income_Earnings_Update_from_Writing_Articles_on_Infobarrel_ and actually this blog post has links to each month’s earnings reports too http://skefflingsmakemoneyonline.com/yet-another-make-money-online-blog-why-would-you-read-it/ My earnings reports show it all and I write quite a lot about where I am and what I have concentrated on that month. I am not very disciplined when it comes to sticking to a plan, so you will see I go off track and try new things a lot which helped me see what was the most profitable too.

November’s extra earnings came from a Zazzle store I set up with images of my farm animals. December was the boost and part of that was gift lists. Writing top 10 gift lists for people with certain hobbies helped in December. The real breakthrough was writing product reviews in Feb about the very best items after I took Chris Guthrie’s free 10 part course (on http://www.makemoneytontheinternet.com) over the Christmas Holidays.

Outsourcing definitely helped and I don’t think I would be where I am, without it. I was getting product reviews that do sell even if my keywords were not perfect and my traffic was low in the earlier articles, and it was before I knew how to do them well myself. Nearly everything I have earned up to now, I have put back into outsourcing or software and now VA help. I would write yourself first with the stricter more favourable keywords and look for the results, then outsource. Make sure it works for you before you invest heavily. There will be a couple of months lag in earnings, but you will get sales faster with some lenses, but evaluate your results and evolve your keyword parameters and niches that are selling, and plan to include outsourcing to replicate success when your earnings will pay for it.

I have a big long post on outsourcing over 3/4 written that I plan to post this week. If you can wait for that, I will share how to get started, and what to ask for and where, as I have learned a lot spending thousands on it in the past 10 months! It is always risky to outsource, as you are spending money on the hope of a return, but there are things you can do to improve your odds of it paying for itself and making a profit for you. Getting to grips with keywords is crucial for that too, so come up with some good ones before you get any articles written for you. ;-)

CashFlowsTo.com August 17, 2012 at 12:56 am

Thank You.

KW are crucial. I’m taking your advice and waiting for your articles before outsourcing. That said, I’m setting goals and timelines to commit for producing content.

I’m still striving to understand the squidoo lenses. To say the least, I am continuously incompetent when it comes to blogging. My goal by months end is to be continuously competent in successfully blogging.

Thank You For The Birthday Well Wishes. I humbly appreciate it. I wish you and your husbands continued blessings and success.

Monty

Skeffling August 17, 2012 at 9:40 am

No problem Monty. Yes take your time and get some good keywords first, then your outsourcing will be more profitable. ;-) I hope the blogging comes easily to you, I don’t think I have that mastered at all, article writing is much easier! Thanks for the good wishes.

Hamish August 24, 2012 at 4:45 am

Hi Skeffling,

I’ve read your stuff on Squidoo (I’m Thamisgith over there) and now I’m delighted to have found your blog! This is where the real good stuff is I bet! I’ve checked out a few posts already and am loving it. You’re sharing some great stuff here.

Your results are very impressive. I have done well on Amazon for years now – but I find your Squidoo/Hub results astonishing. I often find something that gets traffic/sales on Squidoo and HubPages and then build out a blog on it. That’s been a good methodology in the past – but with Panda/Penguin I think that the authority and general clout of sites like Squidoo and HubPages is something that we all need to take more advantage of – and it looks like you’ve got it nailed.

Making better use of Squidoo and HubPages is definitely on my list – so I’ll be back to see what you’re up to later. Thanks for the share.

Skeffling August 24, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Hey there Hamish. Thanks for reading, I am glad you are enjoying it! I remember you avatar, I have seen you on Squidoo too! You look like you know how to party!

Yes it’s pretty crazy really how things are taking off, but I’ll take it ;-) it’s common sense really! Maybe I should take another look at Hubpages. Start a new profile or something. They kind of creep me out, I can’t put my finger on it. People seem to be comparing Squidoo to Hubpages a lots so maybe I should give it a go again. I know Seekyt converts well for my Amazon, and you get 70% share. Nice little site that, though the authority is not as good.

Hope you stop in again, Claire

Gina August 30, 2012 at 12:31 pm

So excited for you! You’re on your way doing ebooks and everything. That’s very inspiring to me. I might look into Zerys for outsourcing writing for future Squidoo lenses. I barely have time for it since I’m working my day job, but I’d love to be where you’re at internet marketing-wise. Looking forward to your new ebook.

Skeffling September 1, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Thanks Gina! I hope you get the chance too!

Joe @ How I Got Rich September 12, 2012 at 10:03 am

Amazing earnings! I am going to give Squidoo a go now, any tips on getting started?

Thanks and good luck for September.

Skeffling September 15, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Hi Joe,
Welcome and thanks for reading. These are two articles I wrote on Infobarrel for getting the most from Squidoo. Picking a low competition longtail buyer keyword and writing a useful well-on-page-SEO’d page and following the 20 tips will help a lot. Good luck!

Always do these 10 Things to Write Successful Articles on Squidoo

10 More Tips to Increase your Online Squidoo Amazon Earnings

Nonar21 November 15, 2012 at 11:59 pm

This is my first time finding your blog, and I love this post. You have given me so much motivation. I am a single mom, going to school full time, trying to make ends meet. I post lenses on Squidoo, but I never thought anyone could earn this kind of money. It is time for me to work on a lot more Squidoo lenses. Thank you fo the motivation!

Skeffling November 16, 2012 at 8:58 am

Hi Nonar
Thanks for reading, I am glad you enjoyed the post. It was certainly fun to write and I still have that giddy feeling of excitement and freedom.

I was never expecting to earn this amount of money, I guess just repeating something that works or shows promise, is well worth doing. What amazes me when I look at my earnings are the average earnings per lens. I put that down to decent traffic, but also giving people what they want. It never hurts to put yourself in place of the reader and carefully interpret the keywords that they have typed in to give them exactly what they are looking for, because as soon as you can provide that, you get rewarded with a sale.

I hope this information helps and any of the other blog posts on “techniques”. There is lots of great info in the comments so keep reading even once the long post is over.

Skeffling August 16, 2012 at 7:56 am