5 Quick Tips for those new and learning to earn money online -Things I wish I had known!

by Skeffling on June 22, 2012 · 9 comments

1. When learning and reading “how to” earn online articles, look at the date.  Information implemented that was good 6 months ago, may mean the end of  a  website today.  You will get a better feel after a  month or two of reading many articles whether something is wrong, outdated or too good to be true.  Keeping reading even as your write and produce content.  Don’t let fear of failure stop you.  No one needs to know, you don’t have to tell anyone what you are up to until you succeed!
  2. Take everything with a grain of salt. There are no shortcuts.  If it is too good to be true, it probably is.
  3. It is better to try and fail and learn,  than talk yourself out of something, and change nothing and learn nothing.  No one else will do this for you.  It is relatively inexpensive to fail online, just your time and maybe some hosting and domain name if you got that far.  Learn from your mistakes and build and replicate your success.  Look for patterns all the time.
  4. You trade time for money online.  If you want something, you have to give time or money to get it.  Give time first, then you will know if giving money is wise.  All you need to know to earn online is available for free on the internet.  Paying a little money for a few truly good pointers, or a time saving program,  can be OK and can be worth 1000 times the money you spend, but it does not cost thousands to teach you anything.  Don’t be scammed.
  5. It is harder than you think to earn money online. It may take longer than you think it should, the only way to fail is to never start.  I think it was about 1000 times more effort than I thought it would be, now I get up every morning and I have earned money in my sleep.  Keep at it, it is totally possible and probable you will earn money eventually.

If you have tips you have learned for online success that are great for newbies, and how to wade through the learning process, please share them below!

Ash June 24, 2012 at 3:49 pm

hi skeffling a tip make sure all of your links open in a new tab so people can click back to your blog if they need to, there are plugins that can do this for you

Skeffling June 24, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Thanks for the tip. I’ll check them out. I usually do set them all to open in a new tab when creating the link manually, but must have messed one up!

jjhansen July 2, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Great tips – thanks Skeffling. I am so excited by all of this. Been listening to Pat Flynn, but as yet I’ve only ventured into the world of InfoBarrel; I’ve tried before to pursue multiple avenues straight away and I burn out too quickly. I am going to try and master one platform first and then diversify.
How do you manage to find the time to be such an active member of all of the sites you work on?

Skeffling July 2, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Thanks for reading and commenting. I think it because I truly enjoy this. I get bored very fast and don’t think I can spend much time on anything I don’t love doing. I have to do a things at once so I can have a change and not get bored, but still be making some progress.

As far as actual time, I turned down a lot of contract work this winter, an lived on almost nothing to give me some dedicated time off when I could work on writing online. I knew I could earn online, it was just a matter of when!

CashFlowsTo.com August 17, 2012 at 1:21 am

Wow.. In plan english that is fact. I appreciate those clear points.

I’ve struggled online. I have paused even on writing as I read more and more to gain perspective.

This truth allows me to keep it focused a work from these points to my goal.

Thank you and be Blessed.

Skeffling August 17, 2012 at 9:31 am

I truly hope it helps. There are hundreds of other lessons, but we need our own experience for all those! It sounds like you are ready for success.

Chris Desatoff November 17, 2012 at 1:41 am

#1 is a very good point, especially post-Panda and -Penguin. A lot of the strategies taht worked last year will absolutely KILL you today. I’ve read about some guys who made a killing before Panda but today are totally done and recommend that people look elsewhere (than the Internet) to make money. But in a way, I think it can be easier for people just starting out, because we have a clean slate with Google, and we don’t have to unlearn the old ways.

Skeffling November 17, 2012 at 9:20 am

Yes, it is more from other experiences that my own but I have noticed this. I guess being lazy has its benefits. It stops you from wasting energy to trying get ahead. By ignoring certain things that others were doing to get ranked, you can have save all that energy. It just seems a waste to do something that is going to be reduced to zero anyway by Google’s latest algorithm changes.

As far as I am concerned, a piece of content should earn there and then, not be stacked up and arranged with others just to provide traffic for maybe one sales article in 10 or 20 written. I guess it is the cream off the top!

I started online just after the Panda update, and I think you are right, we do not have to unlearn the old ways that is used to yield results.

{ 1 trackback }